a second hard drive

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 3 01:55:46 UTC 2008

On 09/02/2008 02:59 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:22 PM, NoOp <glgxg@> wrote:

>>> Cinerella can save & use second drive without having to set up sdb1 as
>>> an LVM. Unless you have a video that is over 250GB, I'd recommend just
>>> leaving as is & following the instructions in the links from my previous
>>> post to automount etc., sdb1.
>>>

>> Yes, for sure.  Don't go down the LVM path unless you really need it -
>> and with 250 gig free I doubt you do.  I was thinking we were
>> stitching together a couple old 40 gig drives here or something.  For
>> one thing, it doubles the chance of data loss.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> Ok I am not much concerned about data loss as I have 2 external drives
> one 150gb and one 250g  the smaller one has about 100g of video clips to
> be used in the video I intend to start to work on in a week or two.  I
> have a few things to get straight on my programs first   I have about 45
> minutes of video that I put together on Premeire and about another hour
> to put together and edit in cinelerra.  The total thing to be two hours.
> Total it is about a years work to edit but my son and daughter will do
> some of the work on their boxes and forward to me. I will do it and
> licence under Creative commons. So if anyone wants to work on a video I
> will be glad to have them. Eespecially a good manager.
>
>    Doug

Point being is that setting up the 2nd hard drive with LVM isn't
necessary in this case. Just set it up to automount and you can use it
as a data storeage drive just as you would a 2nd drive in Windows or any
other system.

Re video: As much as I'd _love_ to work on a project like that; I can
work measurment & water with the best of them (I've experience w/several
world & international sailing championships), but I haven't a clue as to
how to use video editing tools properly. I'm a measurement/markset/pin
boat sort of guy... :-)
  Besides, my largest hard drives are 40GB & although I have multiple
systems, my internet connection is standard DSL so you'd have to find
the FedEx guy that Leonard used to send me the 64bit system (that I'm
still waiting on :-) to ship a few 100+GB drives my way :-)

Question: are your son & daughter also using Ubuntu & the same video
editing tools as you?

Good luck with with your project & let us know how it goes.