a second hard drive

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 2 17:18:33 UTC 2008

On 09/02/2008 08:37 AM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>     I have  a second hard drive on my computer.  I had  problems with my
> Ubuntu 8.04, of my own making.  My solution was to install Ubuntu and
> Cinelerra on my second drive so I could continue learning and getting
> the problems straight on sda1 and at the same time work on video in
> Cinelerra.  I kind of know how that one armed paper hanger felt now . :-)
>     Thanks to the help on this list most problems in that first
> installation are resolved, Thanks to all of you.  You folks are
> appreciated although I'm sure you wonder sometimes?
>       Now to configuring and getting my machine as I want it. I would
> now like to make the second drive a slave of sda1 so that when doing
> video the huge amount of hard drive space needed will be usable in both
> drives. I want cinelerra ro be able to work back an forth on both drives.
>      To get started I went into Gparted and made a single partition  it
> is /dev/sdb1.  Can someone either send me to a good tutorial  or give me
> the commands to make this drive and partition   a slave to the first
> drive.
>                                   Thanks    Doug

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DrivesAndPartitions
  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingANewHardDrive

Note: change the
"4) Now decide on a filesystem. Use "ext3" if the drive will only be
used with Ubuntu. For file-sharing between Ubuntu and Windows, you
should use "fat32." If you are unsure, search around the wiki and forums
for advice."
fat32 bit in the page to ntfs if you plan on sharing with Windows. fat32
won't support your video files that are larger than 4Gb. If linux only,
then just use ext3 & you'll be fine.

The sections that you probably need most are:

Create a Mount Point
Automatic Mount at Boot