printing with Ubuntu in Windows network

Chris Jeffries chris at candm.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 06:19:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 02:12 +0100, ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
> Re: printing with Ubuntu in Windows network

I do not wish to hijack this thread, but my problem seems similar except
I think I have gone a bit further but still have problems.

The client PC is Ubuntu 8.04 LTS;
The target machine is running Windows XP Version 2002 XP2;
The printer is a HP All in One Officejet 5608 (5600 series - they change
the exact number according to locality of sale)
I have CUPS installed on the Ubuntu PC and also the (I think) relevant
HPLIP drivers (5600).

The printer works fine from its host PC and also from another PC running
Windows XP (and also (to eliminate any weird hardware issue) the UBUNTU
PC when it is booted under Windows instead)

However, when confronted with a print spool file sent from the UBUNTU
machine, the driver just locks up and the only way to free it up is to
clear the spool queue on Windows manually and then restart the spool
service.

Given this seems an incompatibility issue, I am not sure where to look
for the evidence to help me pin down what needs fixing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

(PS Since I got no responses on the SCIM issue, I guess no one knows
anything about it)