rolling Firefox back to 2.x

Nik N niknot at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 14:57:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/1 Nik N <niknot at gmail.com>:

Hi Dotan,
First of all, thanks for the help. I am here only to find solutions to whatever
problems I might have; not to debate; I only offer some of my reasoning when
asked, and only in order to explain in more detail whatever quandary I might be
facing.

> What? Windows has bugs that are hard to deal with? Then use a different OS.
> [....] Because Firefox 3 runs on a buggy, hard to deal with OS, and
> respects that OS's buggy security settings, you are not using it in
> Linux. I smell a fallacy, but you are free to make your own decisions.

I can't be the only one that has no *single* computer, the same way many
have multiple vehicles that they use pretty much "in parallel" - one for
'around the town, another to go cross-country,  a van to deliver products,
a scooter to fetch beer... and so on. Each one of those computers has a
peculiar set of characteristics: different hardware, different  operating
systems, different applications... As much as possible, I try to use same
set of "core applications" on all of those. This is, I believe, a sensible
approach, and it explains why application faults on one system often
influence its use on another. But really, my main reason for giving up on
FF3 is their decision to use sqlite to store private data. The increase of
the number of lines of (third party!) code that are all of sudden
"in the security chain" (on some of those computers, this happens to be
a significant issue) is to me a sign of  poor understanding of software
engineering principles when it comes to security.

Nik N.