New Intrepid upgrade killed all my sound

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 31 20:29:07 UTC 2008

Peter N Spotts <pspotts at comcast.net>  said:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:50:18 -0500
> "Cybe R. Wizard" <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> > I must not use it much as I upgraded days ago and just this moment
> > noticed that my sound isn't working.

[...]
> > Ideas, anyone?  How should I proceed?
> >
> > Cybe R. Wizard
>
> Cybe,
>
> This happened to me as well. I installed 8.10 RC on my five-year-old
> Toshiba Satellite 1905-S303 laptop. I use qamix for a sound mixer, and
> when I opened it, I found that during the course of the upgrade, all
> volume settings were reset to zero and to mute. Once I corrected
> those, my sound was back in business. I'm using Xubuntu, so I don't
> know how your control-center stuff is organized. Your mileage, as
> they say, may vary.
>
> With best regards,
>
> Pete

Thanks, Pete.
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the problem here.  All settings
are as they should be, nothing muted.  I've tried alsa, oss and
pulseaudio settings on everything, set all to auto-detect, tried all
permutations of each of these and still, nothing.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
	Larry Niven, Steven Barnes