New Intrepid upgrade killed all my sound

Peter N Spotts pspotts at comcast.net
Fri Oct 31 15:56:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:50:18 -0500
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I must not use it much as I upgraded days ago and just this moment
> noticed that my sound isn't working.  I've absolutely no idea about
> how to troubleshoot this.  I've visited the sound aspect of the
> control center; no joy.  I've even tried the multimedia selection
> section of that same control center; no joy.  I've tried as many
> options as I could find/figure out in the gconf-editor; no joy.
> My google-fu pointed to the Ubuntu forums where someone got their
> sound working by installing Adobe flash plugin.  It didn't work out
> for me.  Sound Preferences doesn't bring satisfaction, either.
> Here's the multimedia output of <sudo lshw>:
>
>  *-multimedia
>              product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio
> Controller vendor: Intel Corporation
>              physical id: 1b
>              bus info: pci at 0000:00:1b.0
>              version: 01
>              width: 64 bits
>              clock: 33MHz
>              capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
>              configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
> module=snd_hda_intel
>
> Ideas, anyone?  How should I proceed?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Cybe,

This happened to me as well. I installed 8.10 RC on my five-year-old
Toshiba Satellite 1905-S303 laptop. I use qamix for a sound mixer, and
when I opened it, I found that during the course of the upgrade, all
volume settings were reset to zero and to mute. Once I corrected those,
my sound was back in business. I'm using Xubuntu, so I don't know how
your control-center stuff is organized. Your mileage, as they say, may
vary.

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
            -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"