Grub changes

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Oct 30 01:02:51 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 18:24 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> GE Force 6100
>>

> The package database says that it is supported by driver #173:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/nvidia-glx-173 or #177:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/nvidia-glx-177
>
> I don't know which, the 6100 is mentioned in both.
>
> Release notes:
> "Users of other nVidia chipsets that are supported by the 173 or 177
> driver series will be transitioned to the nvidia-glx-173 or
> nvidia-glx-177 package instead. However, unlike drivers 96 and 71,
> drivers 173 and 177 are only compatible with CPUs that support SSE (e.g.
> Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon XP or higher). Systems with older CPUs
> will also be transitioned to the nv driver on upgrade."
>
> So, unless you have one of the mentioned CPUs, Intrepid _should_ work
> for your card AFAICT.
>
> I guess that means it might be a bug. And here we go:
>
> "No graphic mode on Nvidia GeForce 6100 using Intrepid LiveCD"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/275029
>
> "Nvidia does not work with Geforce 6100"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-177/+bug/282214
>
> 5 minutes work, including coying an writing email, on Google and
> Launchpad with the simplest search terms: GeForce 6100 Intrepid
>
> Seriously, you could have tried that yourself before letting everyone on
> the list run around in circles.

    Your right Mario but I have had Intrepid running just 2 days and it
never entered my mind that Ubuntu would make a new version not
supporting nVidia. But it has obviously from your efforts so I will
erase Intrepid and hope the next version is better designed.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User