Grub changes

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Oct 30 00:46:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 18:24 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> GE Force 6100

The package database says that it is supported by driver #173:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/nvidia-glx-173 or #177:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/nvidia-glx-177

I don't know which, the 6100 is mentioned in both.

Release notes:
"Users of other nVidia chipsets that are supported by the 173 or 177
driver series will be transitioned to the nvidia-glx-173 or
nvidia-glx-177 package instead. However, unlike drivers 96 and 71,
drivers 173 and 177 are only compatible with CPUs that support SSE (e.g.
Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon XP or higher). Systems with older CPUs
will also be transitioned to the nv driver on upgrade."

So, unless you have one of the mentioned CPUs, Intrepid _should_ work
for your card AFAICT.

I guess that means it might be a bug. And here we go:

"No graphic mode on Nvidia GeForce 6100 using Intrepid LiveCD"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/275029

"Nvidia does not work with Geforce 6100"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-177/+bug/282214

5 minutes work, including coying an writing email, on Google and
Launchpad with the simplest search terms: GeForce 6100 Intrepid

Seriously, you could have tried that yourself before letting everyone on
the list run around in circles.