Best FTP software for Ubuntu was: Web Commerce

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 23 19:30:58 UTC 2008

On 10/23/2008 10:00 AM, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
[snip]

> Yes, don't use ftp. Use scp or sftp with key-based authentication.
> Particularly on a system on which you're going to be doing e-commerce,
> there is no reason to use ftp and expose your ftp password, which for
> many people because they don't know any better, is the same as their
> user account password.
>
> Others have suggested ftp-based mirroring software to synchronize your
> machine with another host. Don't do that either. Use rsync over ssh.
>
> Here is an article I wrote for our hosting clients, most of whom are
> running Windows
> <http://dinamis.com/support/a-secure-replacement-for-ftp>. OS X and
> Linux have ssh and scp installed by default in most cases. There are GUI
> front-ends to both protocols on all the major operating systems, if you
> need them.

Nice article.

However be aware that gftp (as recommended in this thread) supports
sftp; all you need to do is select SSH2 instead of FTP. Your connection
will be established via sftp - example from an actual gftp log w/user
and remote site obscured for obvious reasons:

Opening SSH connection to <remotesite>
Running program ssh -e none -l <user> -p 22 <remotesite> -s sftp
3: Protocol Initialization
<user>@<remotesite>'s password:
3: Protocol version 3
Successfully logged into SSH server <remotesite>