modem usrobotics 5637

John Heinen hensandpat at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 20 16:10:22 UTC 2008

Bo Grimes wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, John Heinen wrote:
>

>> Bo Grimes wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> <snip>

>>> FYI, Linux Mint is a Ubuntu derivative with an excellent IRC channel but
>>> no mailing lists.  I use Linux Mint and subscribe to this list for that
>>> reason.
>>>

>> Apreciate your patience Bo, will follow up on your sugestion, please,
>> also see my responce to Nils
>>

> Huh?  I was just informing another as to why Mint users like us might post
> here.
>
> As to your problem, I used dial-up forever until a few weeks ago, and I
> had problems with earlier versions of Ubuntu.  Please don't think I'm
> insulting, but I know I frequently had newbie-ish problems that didn't end
> up requiring a lot of technical expertise to fix, so I am going to ask
> some questions I hope you don't find insulting.
>
> One, is it a USB modem or does it us a serial port?  I no longer have
> dial-up tools, but if you're using KPPP I have had problems in the past
> with it not allowing a regular user to set it up.  I don't think that's
> your issue though.
>
> Second question, then.  Have you tried to change /dev/modem to something
> like /dev/ttys0 in the modem set-up dialogue?  IIRC once you have KPPP up,
> click on configure or somthing like it.  Then click on the modem tab.  If
> you're using a serial modem it is often ttys0.  I forget what usb might
> be.
>
> Sorry, that's all I have without a modem and KPPP on my computer to try
> and see what else my limited knowledge might come up with.
>
> Oh, one other thing, with Fedora 9 this past summer, I had to update pppd
> before either kppp or gnome-dial (?) would work.  You might want to make
> use you have the latest version.  My guess is apt-get install kppp would
> let you know.
>
> Good luck.

Thank you Bo and Nills for your advise, really appreciate your
patience., Nils mentioned ACMO, I then discovered a lot more devices,
like  /dev/modem/ttyso,  noz o, ttyacmo, ttyusbo and many more!
So I found that /dev/ttyso modem is applicable/working, just fine. In
further configuring I got this message /etc/resolve.config
is missingor cannot be read, create the file (can be empty) with
appropiate read and write permissions.. I may not be very smart in the
endeavor but I never give up. So I decided to abort Mint and install
kubuntu again. SAME PROBLEM.
Could it be that the problem is an the cd's or kppp instruction or just
my ignorance.