tracker

norman norman at littletank.org
Tue Oct 7 11:36:27 UTC 2008

> > Would some kind and knowledgeable person please tell me whether tracker
> > is supposed to be of any use for an ordinary desktop user like me? If it
> > is mainly of use for server users would it cause any problem if I were
> > to remove it?
> >

> Some wouldn't necessarily call me kind, but in some things I am
> knowledgeable.  So I'll give this a shot.  Based on the docs tracker is
> nothing more than a 'semantic desktop'.  It's designed to make normal
> desktop users more efficient by integrating certain items into others.
> Typically it's things like searching and document management.

Thank you very much for your response which I find very interesting
which helps with the first part of my question.

< snip >

> I would suggest you take it for a spin and see if you like it, or that
> it's useful to you.  You never know until you try.

Tracker came with Ubuntu 8.04 so it is there on my machine. I think I
might have used it once or twice in 5 months. So this brings me to the
second part of my question, will it cause any problems if I remove it?

Norman