tracker

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Oct 7 11:10:03 UTC 2008

norman wrote:
> Would some kind and knowledgeable person please tell me whether tracker
> is supposed to be of any use for an ordinary desktop user like me? If it
> is mainly of use for server users would it cause any problem if I were
> to remove it?
>
> Norman

Some wouldn't necessarily call me kind, but in some things I am
knowledgeable.  So I'll give this a shot.  Based on the docs tracker is
nothing more than a 'semantic desktop'.  It's designed to make normal
desktop users more efficient by integrating certain items into others.
Typically it's things like searching and document management.

That's the official line, anyway.  I don't run tracker, but I have run
kde4's semantic desktop offerings.  I LOVE KDE4, but the semantic
desktop is just overkill for my needs.  I think it's a great idea in
theory, but in practice it hogs resources for things that I don't use
that often.  I suppose I'm more of a 'power user' than a normal user in
that I am constantly compiling and developing things and I have my own
setup for various tools I use repeatedly, so maybe I'm not the best use
case.

However, I think this would apply to most users, it's too much of a
resource hog to be useful.  In fact, in some cases it's virtually
unusable because of all the resources it wants to take.  Granted, that
might be just because it's new software and still buggy.  I certainly
think the devs will make it useful in time, just not now.

As for server users, I don't think it would help on servers at all since
the majority of features are desktop oriented.

I would suggest you take it for a spin and see if you like it, or that
it's useful to you.  You never know until you try.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support