intrepid: "failed to initialize hal"

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 4 03:56:03 UTC 2008

just upgraded my thinkpad x31 to intrepid & am getting this error when i
log in (after gdm):
internal error: failed to initialize hal!

in syslog and messages i see a number of errors that suggest neither hal
nor dbus is running, and a bunch of toher stuff therefore won't work --
for instance, neither of my network interfaces is found, and network
manager won't come up, so i can't get access to the machine remotely
(thus no log attached).

is anyone else seeing this?  any idea how to track down the bug & report
it properly?

thanks,
matt

--