Moving from Fedora to Ubuntu - am I doing the right thing?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:10:49 UTC 2008

> I love statistics.  You can make them say whatever you want them too.
> (Look at the American political parties for instance, the Republicans
> have THEIR set of facts and the Dems they have a different set of 'facts'.
>
> I certainly do think Ubuntu is a good desktop distro.  But I,
> personally, see fewer people stick with it once they've become used to
> linux and move to something, I hate to say better, for that's not the
> right word, but maybe more in line with their needs is perhaps a better
> way to say it.
>
> Me, personally, I don't run Ubuntu on a DTD basis because I have certain
> things I like to do manually and I cannot stand .deb packages.  I've
> built more than my share of them, I've been dealing with debian for ages
> and I hate .debs.  Apt, OTOH, is great, but that's not a selling point
> for me.
>
> Not to mention, I'm /really/ sick of package maintainers building
> packages at non-standard locations just for giggles.  That bugs me more
> than anything, I think.  That goes for RPM packages as well.
>

> --
> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>

> Mark Haney

Thing about these stats is that no one is trying to make them say
anything. The owner just wants them to reflect who looks at what. That
being said there are a ton of threads on the distrowatch site as to
what these stats mean and who is trying to direct traffic to the site
to inflate stats. I don't see a need for that discussion here, just go
read them there.

I totally agree that there are very few good reasons to move
directories around. That is one thing you would hope would be standard
across all of Linux but sadly it is not.

The thing is that in the end, what gets the most support will be what
the most people are using or funding.

--
Douglas E Knapp