Moving from Fedora to Ubuntu - am I doing the right thing?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Oct 3 12:56:44 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>> Knapp wrote:
>>> Like it or hate it *ubuntu is on top and that means that if there is a
>>> breeding edge piece of software out there then it has been compiled
>>> for *ubuntu. It has been a real winner for me because it is so easy to
>>> use. I used Gentoo and ya it boots fast and runs fast but the time
>>> taken to keep it up does not match the free time I have because Ubuntu
>>> takes care of it for me. EI, ubuntu is easy to use and does the jobs
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I have yet to find something that I can't make run on Ubuntu without
>>> much fuss and I run 64 bit.
>>>

>> I very much disagree that it's 'on top'.  Popular, perhaps, on top?  I
>> know /many/ more people running Fedora than I do ubuntu of any flavor.
>> It /is/ a good desktop version.  But I certainly wouldn't call it the
>> best distro out there.
>>
>> But then, I've been in the linux world since slackware 3, so what do I know.
>>

>> --
>> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>>

>> Mark Haney
>
> Distro watch hit ranking last 6 months. I will not get into a debate
> about the meaning of these stats but a simple glance shows it on top
> and it has been on top for a long time with brief losses when some
> distro does something new. Then add in Kubuntu and Xubuntu and you see
> it way on top. Fidora is at about 50% of Ubuntu. I never said best, by
> the way.

I love statistics.  You can make them say whatever you want them too.
(Look at the American political parties for instance, the Republicans
have THEIR set of facts and the Dems they have a different set of 'facts'.

I certainly do think Ubuntu is a good desktop distro.  But I,
personally, see fewer people stick with it once they've become used to
linux and move to something, I hate to say better, for that's not the
right word, but maybe more in line with their needs is perhaps a better
way to say it.

Me, personally, I don't run Ubuntu on a DTD basis because I have certain
things I like to do manually and I cannot stand .deb packages.  I've
built more than my share of them, I've been dealing with debian for ages
and I hate .debs.  Apt, OTOH, is great, but that's not a selling point
for me.

Not to mention, I'm /really/ sick of package maintainers building
packages at non-standard locations just for giggles.  That bugs me more
than anything, I think.  That goes for RPM packages as well.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support