8.10: SiS AC'97 soundcard no longer detected

Daniel T Chen crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Fri Nov 28 03:47:36 UTC 2008

On 11/27/2008 06:32 PM, David M wrote:

> Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Here is the output of the
> script when run from Ubuntu as actually installed (via upgrade) on my
> computer:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=83803a274f4dadeadd003ba7cafa92b5237a5d7b
>
> (And here's the prior test from the live CD again, for ease of comparison:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d0cacb417f034d41823fcdd3e0d6c1868722c4c2 )

So the thing to note here is that your installed 2.6.25 kernel lacks any
sound modules loaded.  In fact, not even the glue layer module,
soundcore.ko, is loaded.  This is indicative of [at least] one of two
common errors:
1) There are, in fact, no sound-related modules installed in
/lib/modules/2.6.25-2-386;
2) A self-compiled (from upstream ftp.alsa-project.org or a snapshot
from Takashi's kernel.org area) alsa-driver is fubar.

You can pretty easily regain sound in your installed Ubuntu Intrepid by
reinstalling the linux-generic package, ensuring that the latest
available Intrepid kernel is installed, and afterward, rebooting.  At
this writing, you'll need at least linux-image-2.6.27-9-generic from
intrepid-security installed.