8.10: SiS AC'97 soundcard no longer detected

David M lists2008 at trancepod.netmx.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 23:32:29 UTC 2008

Daniel T Chen wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
 about: Re: 8.10: SiS AC'97 soundcard no longer detected

> On 11/23/2008 06:03 AM, David M wrote:
>>
>> Would it help to re-run the alsa-info script from my actual Ubuntu
>> environment, to see if this gives different results to running it from
>> the live CD (where the soundcard is detected and does work)?

> Yes, please do.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Here is the output of the
script when run from Ubuntu as actually installed (via upgrade) on my
computer:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=83803a274f4dadeadd003ba7cafa92b5237a5d7b

(And here's the prior test from the live CD again, for ease of comparison:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d0cacb417f034d41823fcdd3e0d6c1868722c4c2 )

I notice that the live CD has a newer kernel than my installed system, I
wonder if that makes a difference? (I'd have thought that the upgrade
would have updated my kernel, however?)

I'm afraid that as I know virtually nothing about ALSA, I can't work out
anything useful from the rest (other than my system clearly isn't
detecting the soundcard properly), but if you can deduce anything, that
would be very helpful.

Thanks again,

David.

--
David M.  Edinburgh, Scotland. ---- [en,fr,(de) <-- corrections welcome]
* Please only quote minimum required for context; interleave reply text.