external monitor defaults in 8.10

Ian Lynch ian.lynch at zmsl.com
Sun Nov 23 17:08:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 22:28 +0000, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> Olá Ian e a todos.
>
> On Saturday 22 November 2008 16:12:20 Ian Lynch wrote:
> > Installed them but they don't seem to do anything. Can't see how the key
> > toouch editor works. I get a list of events eg event5 PC Speaker, Select
> > it click ok, get a fairly uninteligible Press key message so I press the
> > speaker on/off switch, select another even and apparently nothing
> > happens. Tried with Fn and a key like brightness up. Nothing.
>
> One of the devices should have worked for you.
> In my case its ACPI device. Select it, press ok, and then press one of the keyboard extra keys.

event0 Macintosh mouse button emulation
event1 AT Translation Set 2 keyboard PS/2
event3 Lid Switch
event4 Sleep Button (CM)
event5 PC Speaker
event6 TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint
event7 Video Bus
event8 ThinkPad Extra Buttons
       ACPI device                   ACPI

Clicked on each one in turn then Ok, message with cancel pops up. Press
Fn F10 (also tried just F10) and nothing happens so click cancel and
move to the next event. Nothing happens as far as I can tell.

> Provide an unique name for Manufacture and Model.
>
> Start adding keys, and provide a clear name to the key. Select the newly created key, and see if there is a keycode for that key.
> Avoid setting the program functions, that will be done latter, with the keytouchd.
> When you are finish and press File->Save, you will have a chance to send it to the author.
>
> Now open keytouch, if you are not asked to import the newly created keyboard, go to Keyboard->change and do it there.
> In the KeySettings start attributing programs/actions to your keys.
> After a reboot, to make the keytouch daemon load the new settings, the keys should work.
>

> Some of this apps require gksu, so you are better launching them via the menus, and not via terminal or alt+F2.
>
> > My main problem is a scree that is too dim, I could live wit the rest, but since
> > the Power Managment brightness applet has no effect there is no way I
> > can find to step up the brightness.
>
> Humm it the applet doesnt work, either you have a more serious bug, or you are being affected by one of the bugs that make gnome-power-manager crash.
>
> Wish you luck.

There is no message to say gnome-power-manager has crashed. According to
System monitor gpm is sleeping as is the g-brightness applet..so they
don't seem to crash, they just don't do anything.

Thanks for your help.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications