[Intrepid] Network Manager - Set Static/Manual IP resolv.conf overwritten

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 23 00:38:08 UTC 2008

I'm at a bit of a loss with the "new/improved - who's mess is this
anyway" network manager on Intrepid. I've an internal wired nic on an
old A21M laptop that works just fine as long as I set it to DHCP.

However, as soon as I try to set it to manual for a static IP address it
either fails, or never changes and stays at the dhcp IP unless I unplug
the cable. Then as soon as I do (unplug the cable & plug it back in) it
issues the fixed IP, but overwrites /etc/resolv.conf with a blank/new
file that only shows:

# Generated by NetworkManager

So, I then have to _re-edit_ resolv.conf to put my DNS's back in.

I've checked:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/network-manager
and of course the obligatory:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bintrepid+%2Bresolv.conf>

Perhaps related to a previous thread:
[Problem with domain name server in intrepid]

Note: previously I'd set the resolv.conf for a wireless connection.
Turned off the laptop, moved it to my office, turned it back on without
the wireless and instead with the wired connected - resolv.conf "#
Generated by NetworkManager".

Before I go off to launchpad land again; does anyone know of a specific
bug filed for this, and/or a resolution?

Postnote: I figured that I'd try a restart with the cable plugged in
(working on at fixed IP before w/my hand edited resolv.conf) just to see
it will work after the restart & if resolv.conf is again overwritten.
Results (again the wireless card is not plugged in, just the hardwired
ethernet cable):
1) boot is very slow... indicating that a network issue is changed, 2)
the system default to DHCP and the manual/fixed IP that I'd entered
previously is nowhere to be found, 3) resolv.conf is now changed to the
DHCP IP's rather than the fixed IP settings that I had set before reboot.

This is crazy. Also found some other related bugs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/283233
[ network manager won't save fixed ip settings on wired connections]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/259214
[ wired connection settings are lost after reboot]

I've tried to be somewhat patient with the whole "NetworkManger" issues
in the past, but I am seriously starting to wonder if this "application"
should be placed in the "what was I thinking" category...