[Intrepid] Network Manager - Set Static/Manual IP resolv.conf overwritten

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Sun Nov 23 04:35:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 04:38:08PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> I'm at a bit of a loss with the "new/improved - who's mess is this
> anyway" network manager on Intrepid. I've an internal wired nic on an
> old A21M laptop that works just fine as long as I set it to DHCP.
... [ bugs & problems snipped ]
> I've tried to be somewhat patient with the whole "NetworkManger" issues
> in the past, but I am seriously starting to wonder if this "application"
> should be placed in the "what was I thinking" category...

A putative "helper" application is not allowed to interfere with manual
network settings made in the traditional config files. Period.

When NetworkMunger brought chaos to my network, from the moment of
installation of 7.10, I applied this fix:

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager

My ubuntu experience immediately became comparatively blissful.
The good thing with any linux is that troublesome applications
can so easily be jettisoned.

Following the example on another list, the removal of NetworkMunger is
now my highest priority post-install tweak.

General Note: If it works for you, that's great. If manual network
configuration is a mystery, then it's better left alone.

Erik

--
An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a
cabbage, concludes that it will also make a better soup. (H.L. Mencken)