how NOT to have "landscape" related message when log in SSH

Loïc Grenié loic.grenie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 17:37:38 UTC 2008

2008/11/25, Soo-Hyun Choi <s.choi at hackers.org.uk>:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Loïc Grenié <loic.grenie at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > 2008/11/25, Soo-Hyun Choi <s.choi at hackers.org.uk>:
>  >> I still want the system statistics information (e.g., system load,
>  >>  memory usage, processes, usage of filesystem, etc) upon SSH login, but
>  >>  just don't want this message "Graph this data and manage this system
>  >>  at https://landscape.canonical.com/".
>  >>
>  >>  If I disable update-motd, then I will loose the system information as
>  >>  well on SSH login.
>  >
>  >     Please do not top-post.
>

> Well, everyone has its own posting style. If you don't prefer
>  so-called "top-post", then that's fine, but you cannot force your
>  style to the others.

     As far as I can tell this is the usual rule for this list. If not, sorry.

>>     As for your problem, I guess you'll have to hack in the python scripts
>>  that create those messages. Start from the motd link and work your
>>  way in /usr/share/python-whatever...
>

> This is what everyone knows already. I am asking how.

     Sorry, I thought you were a hacker...

% find /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/landscape -type f | xargs grep https://
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/landscape/configuration.py:
 https://landscape.canonical.com/dashboard
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/landscape/configuration.py:
 at https://landscape.canonical.com/account/%s
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/landscape/configuration.py:
 Please see https://landscape.canonical.com for more information.
Binary file /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/landscape/sysinfo/landscapelink.pyc
matches
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/landscape/sysinfo/landscapelink.py:
         "https://landscape.canonical.com/")
Binary file /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/landscape/configuration.pyc matches

    In file /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/landscape/sysinfo/landscapelink.py,
  you have the function that prints the message. You can modify it as you wish.
  (I cannot help you with python because I don't know anything about it except
  that *I* hate its look, but that is absolutely personal).

      Hope this helps,

           Loïc