OO.o CALC SUM() GIVES WRONG ANSWER

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 19 21:39:12 UTC 2008

On 11/19/2008 12:52 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Searching google on the subject gave no solution or insight. I have a
> simple column(P) of numbers formatted as US currency. There are
> spaces between the numbers as the descriptions to the left are too
> long for one line. While using the summation icon in the function bar
> several lines below the list of numbers and in the same column(P) the
> answer it gives is in error low by 137. Have deleted the sum()
> function and entered it again several times but no joy. The problem
> seem to first occur after adding to the list of numbers and moving
> the sum() function down the column to make room for the additional
> numbers added to the column.  When I select the function it shows in
> the title bar, =SUM(P56:P108), which seems to be correct as it
> includes the first and last entries on the column. When I use my old
> trusty TI-34II calculator I get a reproducible number 137 higher than
> the sum() gives. The spreadsheet is for income tax return itemizing
> Hurricane Ike losses and those in the USA knows what the IRS does
> with inaccurate returns. Yep, I was one of the many that got 4 feet
> of water in the house, but could have been worse if we were closer to
> the coast line. Would appreciate anyone knowing what might be causing
> this error to give me a clue. It would be very appreciated.

Your best bet is to post OOo questions over on the OOo users list - come
join us at:

http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
  users at openoffice.org
For questions relating to the use of OpenOffice.org (the application). A
very popular and effective list. This list is in English. For
non-English help resources, see the "Native-Lang" project lists below.
users-subscribe at openoffice.org or use gmane:
news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions via Thunderbird or
SeaMonkey.

That said - if you'd like to email the spreadsheet (or a facimile) to me
I'll be happy to take a look at it.