Convincing a school district to migrate from OS X to Ubuntu or Edubuntu

Allen Meyers texas.chef94 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:02:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
> wrote:

> David McNally wrote:
> > I know that it is weird to see Macs that often, and in fact, I rarely
> > see them outside of my school.
>
> You lead a sheltered life then. A significant part of the attendees at
> any tech conference I've attended in the last few years were carrying
> Apple's notebooks. Apple has made huge inroads amongst developers and it
> is also doing so amongst younger people. The iPod has introduced a new
> generation to Apple's products. Here is a real conversation overheard by
> one of my brothers on the subway a few months ago between two teenagers:
>
> Teenager 1: Did you know that Apple started making computers? I'm going
> to get a MacBook for my birthday. It's just as slick as an iPod.
>
> Teenager 2: Kewl.
>
> I read a few months ago that 33 cents of every dollar spent on
> back-to-school notebook purchases in the U.S. were spent on Apple
> products and Apple's notebooks constituted 20 per cent of the total unit
> sales. Apple saw double-digit gains in sales over the same time last
> year whereas all the other vendors, who are killing one another to eke
> out a 5% margin compared to Apples 25% or better, were flat. That is a
> pretty impressive achievement for Apple, especially in a down economy.
>
> [snip]
> > Of course, lunch is an important part
> > of the school day all around the world, and would function more properly
> > if it were running on Linux,
>
> I prefer my lunch to be quite still and not running, thank you.
>
> > but it's not the only part (I know that you
> > said that, I'm just agreeing with you). If schools were able to run
> > everything on Linux, everything would work smoother, considering the
> > smoothness that Linux provides.
> >
> > I have, however, noticed that Microsoft and Apple do better at making
> > sure that the computer works rather well than the Linux community.
> [snip]
> > There are similar problems that I've found in Linux. Obviously, I still
> > think that Ubuntu would beat Windows or OS X any day, but it's not
> > perfect, and it never will be. It still has many more advantages than
> > Windows or OS X.
>
> If I were your teacher, you'd be asked to revise and resubmit because
> the inconsistencies in what you wrote are glaring. How is it "obvious"
> that Linux is better if "Microsoft and Apple do better at making sure
> that the computer works rather well than the Linux community"?
>
> > Next, I want to respond to Paige Thompson's and Clifford Ilkay's replies:
> > It seems that Clifford felt that I shouldn't refer to these people as
> > 'rich idiots'. While it is somewhat true, I do see quite a bit of truth
> > in the fact that people will do what you want if you treat them with
> > more respect.
> >
> > On the other hand, Paige pointed out that "that's just exactly the kind
> > of mentality that has held Ubuntu back". I agree with that statement
> [...]
because while I have a great deal of experience with school food service I
have had minimal exposure to administration, superintendents, business
manager and the like. That being said the decision to change any on going
process in a public school setting rests with administration.
In its early stages when I was endeavoring to get school food service to
implement HACCP "Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point" I experienced an
almost insurmountable  administrative wall. While Food Service Directors saw
and appreciated the extreme importance it was ultimately an administrative
decision hence I had to brave the lions den so to speak. Please take my word
for this I am articulate and was passionate about food safety to a fault.
Plus I have an aggresive in your face persona which did not sit well. In
short I had to change my approach and win over administration and ultimately
it was more cost effective to implement HACCP and they made the switch.
Incidentally I am talking Texas and 1086 districts. Finally your attitude
and your ability to win over administration is the Key
and believe it or not your body language.
I hope this helps somewhat

--
Allen Meyers
texas.chef94 at gmail.com