Good Ubuntu hardware?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Nov 17 12:25:42 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> Hello, I am looking at a new system. I want to know if anyone has
> tried a setup like this and if it was really Linux friendly. (really
> it is for a friend with no computer experience.) I want to insert the
> install disk and have a working system without hunting drivers etc.
> The owner hopes to do video editing as his high end use, no game.
> Likely to be dual boot with XP and maybe vista too. It he can he wants
> to use Linux mostly but does some high end audio work that seems to be
> XP only. :-(
>
> He wants a computer OS that he does not have to think about. He just
> wants to do his art.
>
> 550 Watt power
Imho way to much. Even if it is 80+, it will never be able to work at
it's optimum 80+ efficency. Imho 350W will be ok for this box.

> motherboard Asus p5q So. 775
> CPU Intel core 2 quad q 6600 s. 775

There are no applications (imho) that make use of this, a decent dual
core might be ok, as well.

> RAM G.E.I.L. Ultra 4096 (2x2) MB 800 MHz kit
> DVD-RW LG GH20NS SATAII

> DVD-ROM LG DH16NS10
Imho if he is not the CD/DVD copying type of guy, this one is not needed.

> VGA GeForce 9500 GT 512 MB passiv
> 2 HD 750 GB Samsung 7200 rpm SATAII

Imho 1x 1 TB will be quieter, if quiet is what he needs.

I would prefer to use a second disk as an external unit for backup
purposes. In case that you agree, an external SATA connector would be great.

> I welcome any ideas or improvements.
>
> I would also like to run KDE4 on it. I have heard of some Nvidia
> problems but don't know much about that.
With 8.10 this should run greatly.

Kind regard
Eberhard