Alt-F2

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 7 15:43:08 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 11/7/08, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> From: Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
> Subject: Re: Alt-F2
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 7:58 AM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > Give kde4 a try now if you like eye candy.
>
> I don't particularly, but I'll be upgrading on
> Monday (not a big enough pipe
> at home).

Ohhh, too bad.  Everyone should have a big enough pipe at home.-:)

> > Things are a little different
> > but not that much. Of course you know that you can log
> into either version
> > of kde once both are installed.
>
> Well, not if I go to Intrepid, but that's OK.  I'm
> confident that most of
> the KDE4 issues are preference-related now.

Well, I'm still afraid that Intrepid has too many bugs for me but I look forward to trying it out. You, however, are one of those who could help fix those

> > Sorry but the standard "Configure shortcuts"
> doesn't compute for me or I'd
> > try it.
>
> Every KDE app has a "Settings" menu,
> "Configure Shortcuts" option.
> Then "System Settings" has the same thing but
> system-wide (Under, "Keyboard Settings).
> --
> derek

Ahhh, thanks for the above. I have visited "System Settings"->"Keyboard & Mouse" but had not experimented with the "Keyboard Shortcuts". So, I did and found in the drop down the "Run Command Interface" which had the shortcut for "Run Command". I suspect it was always the default value, ALT-F2, but that Compiz was somehow interfering with it. It does work fine now that I purged Compiz.
I'm still having difficulty accessing a "Settings" menu->"Configure Shortcuts" for apps from Kmenu.  When I right click the app, it just starts the app and I find no "configure shortcuts" option in the app menu.  Must be doing something wrong, right.
Anyway, thanks for the enlightenment, I learned something.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net