Need help with raid layout

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 07:35:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Christopher Lemire
<christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using Raid 1 for a while now. It increases my read speeds a little
> bit I guess, but I haven't had a hard drive fail where it ever did me any
> good. I just yanked a hard drive that was running in the raid out of my
> computer and watched Linux not crash and continue to run uninterrupted and
> also did simulated failures and rebuilding with mdadm. What I really want is
> performance. Raid 0 offers more performance than 5 and raid is not a backup
> solution, so what I want to do is this. Many people complains about raid 0,
> but I have an idea. I want cron jobs to run rsync for backups synchronizing
> my home folder to a new 640 gb Seagate hdd I'm looking at buying. The
> backups should be automated and done often, so, I can have @reboot in my
> crontab and rsync run by cron at times I am not likely to be doing anything
> or much with my computer. And if rsync only has to copy only new or modified
> files, it shouldn't take long at all to perform a backup and maybe I can
> have it run ever 3 hours or whenever the computer has been idle for 15
> minutes. I don't know how to do that except I think
> gnome-screensaver-command could check if the screensaver is active and if it
> is, I'm not using my computer, and rsync could go to work backuping up my
> files. The two drives I'm using for raid 1 right now that I want to
> reinstall Ubuntu 8.10 with raid 0 with are both identical sata2 Seagates 320
> gb drives. I want the partitioning scheme to be identical on both, but how
> would I do that if grub can't boot a Linux kernel that's in raid 0? I've
> made a /boot partition and put it in Raid 1 before but people have told me
> that its bad to have to have raid 1 and raid 0 that way and my performance
> would be lost, so how can I keep both drives with the same partitioning
> layout with Raid 0?
>
> --
> Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire at gmail.com>
> Fedora 64 bit Linux Raid Level 1

hi

I had a quite good experience with mdRAID 0 on Suse once, and I guess
it will be possible on Ubuntu aswell, and it is easily tested. You can
simply set them up as raid using the bios and other mobo specific
things and run the live CD. If it recognises them you can install on
them.

Mdraid is the driver for FAKEraid. FAKEraid can be described as a
softraid that is recognised by the BIOS. You can't boot from a
softraid, you can from hard or mdraid, but the performance lose will
be bigger on mdraid as on hard raid. Hard raid is expensive, while
FAKEraid is common on newer mobos

You can also create a softraid with a separate (non raid) /boot
partition, but I'd advise to do this if mdraid fails.

Per defenition the partitioning you have now will be lost when you
switch to RAID0.

Do you know what RAID 0 is?

Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count