problem with nvidia geforce2 mx200

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sat May 31 01:37:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Bram Kuijper <a.l.w.kuijper at rug.nl> wrote:
> anymore and only runs in safe graphics mode. I tried reconfiguring xorg,
> but to no avail. Any suggestions? See my configuration settings below.

I'm getting mine to run, and I think nvidia-glx got upgraded recently as well.

I had the same experience as you using dpkg-reconfigure - it only asks
for the keyboard settings and skips the configuration of the monitor
or other settings on the nvidia card. nvidia-xconfig helps with that,
but I have an xorg.conf that has traces from both configuration
attempts! My xorg.conf was simply copied from a working xorg.conf on
my working Debian Lenny installation, where I used a Nvidia FX 5200.

My system has changed - I've gone 64 bit and am using an integrated
graphics chip now, GeForce 6100/nforce 430. Strangely enough, X works
just fine, acceleration works, compiz works, but sooner or later a few
things will happen:

1) various parts of the display go missing, but can be "regenerated"
with mouse moving over the affected areas. This only happens when
running 3D programs/environments such as compiz. I usually start
compiz via "fusion-icon".

2) if sufficient stuff is run (say Google Earth) my system will
eventually go south, all the graphics on the screen start to get
progressively blurry and finally all I see is a jumbled mess. This
means a reset of the system. It just *might* be bad ram - but these
are brand-new Crucial Ballistix sticks - 2* 1gb, and I'm running on an
ECS 6100-pm-m motherboard.

I've so far asked about this twice, but never got a response.

> Bram Kuijper
> $ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
> ii  nvidia-glx
> 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36                         NVIDIA binary XFree86

Here's what I have:

dfox at newbox:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-glx
1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36                         NVIDIA binary
XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6.24-16-generic
96.43.05-0ubuntu3+2.6.24-16.30                     NVIDIA binary
kernel module for Linux 2.6.24
ii  nvidia-kernel-common                       20051028+1ubuntu8
                           NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
ii  nvidia-kernel-source
1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36                         NVIDIA binary
kernel module source
ii  nvidia-settings                            1.0+20080304-0ubuntu1
                           Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics
driv

There's a slight mismatch on versions, but it still works. Having a
new nvidia-glx doesn't cause the errors you get over here - and I
haven't bothered to recompile nvidia-kernel-source.

This might not be strictly a Ubuntu thing - many of the same issues I
experience when running a fully-loaded compiz environment on a live
dvd such as the latest Sabayon.

I guess I'll investigate the bad ram possibility over the weekend too.