Setting up popfile (possibly off-topic)

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sun May 25 16:26:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 09:43 -0400, Brian Lunergan wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Okay, I fibbed. Guess I do need some advice on this.
>
> Using v7.10 of Ubuntu, gnome is the desktop, firestarter is in place as
> firewall, v2.* of Firefox and Thunderbird up to date for this edition of
> Ubuntu.
>
> The instructions for setting up Thunderbird at the popfile site seem
> straight forward so there shouldn't (I hope) be any problem with that part.
>
> Downloaded popfile through synaptic. Tried to access the web interface
> through Firefox (http://127.0.0.1:8080/) to set it up and got the following
> error:
>
> Unable to connect
>
> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1.

I don't know "popfile", but to access through localhost (127.?.?.?),
make sure your /etc/hosts file is updated with
127.0.1.1 yourhostname localhost

then try accessing with firefox using http://127.0.1.1:8080/.  Ubuntu
uses 127.0.1.1 instead of 127.0.0.1 for localhost access. Also, make
sure you have not denied access through /etc/hosts.deny

> Tried it using plain FireFox from the main menu and sudo FireFox through a
> terminal window. Tried it with the firewall on and stopped. No difference.
>
> I'm open to suggestion, otherwise I might as well take it back off and keep
> looking for an anti-spam tool.
>
> Regards...
> --
>
> Brian Lunergan