Setting up popfile (possibly off-topic)

Brian Lunergan ff809 at ncf.ca
Sun May 25 17:26:52 UTC 2008

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> I don't know "popfile", but to access through localhost (127.?.?.?),
> make sure your /etc/hosts file is updated with
> 127.0.1.1 yourhostname localhost
>
> then try accessing with firefox using http://127.0.1.1:8080/.  Ubuntu
> uses 127.0.1.1 instead of 127.0.0.1 for localhost access. Also, make
> sure you have not denied access through /etc/hosts.deny

Tried it and got the same error message. Here's my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 my-home localhost

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Anything there that shouldn't be or should be that isn't? Is what's there
in the 'proper' form? All lines are commented out in hosts.deny so I
suppose that's as it should to make this work. Does hosts.allow have to
have anything done to it or should all lines there also be commented out?

--

Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario