ram music files

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat May 24 14:11:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 08:38 -0500, Joseph wrote:
> I know you're a bit perturbed with my actions here,

Maybe perturbed, but mostly out of ideas how to help

>  I'd
> gone to the page you'd suggested and attempted the commands.

Not really the commands as given the link
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RealPlayerInstallationMethods#head-7b750429065691924bbd14679d59e9ba0fc8dbc3

Which are:

     1. sudo aptitude install libstdc++5
     2. Go to the [WWW] RealPlayer for Linux web page and download the
        installer to your Desktop
     3. cd ~/Desktop [if you downloaded the file to somewhere else,
        replace this directory]
     4. chmod a+x RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
     5. sudo ./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
     6. Follow the prompts

> My commands in the Terminal are as follows:

First of all, you forgot to install libstdc++5

> ragweed at ragweed-den:~$ sudo chmod +x realplayer11GOLD.bin[sudo] password for ragweed:
> chmod: cannot access `realplayer11GOLD.bin': No such file or directory

I don't know where the file is, obviously you don't have it in your home
directory.

Oh, I see now that further down in your mail you say that it is on your
Desktop. Then you need to simply follow #3 in the directions above

> ragweed at ragweed-den:~$ sudo chmod +x realplayer11GOLD.bin.tar.gz
> chmod: cannot access `realplayer11GOLD.bin.tar.gz': No such file or directory

You are not supposed to chmod the tar.gz file, but the .bin file after
unpacking it. But the tar.gz file is also not in your home directory,
but on your Desktop

> ragweed at ragweed-den:~$ cd /home/ragweed/Desktop/
> ragweed at ragweed-den:~/Desktop$ sudo chmod +x RealPlayer11GOLD.bin.tar.gz

See, there it is, but you still chmod the tar.gz file, not the .bin file

> ragweed at ragweed-den:~/Desktop$ sudo RealPlayer11GOLD.bin.tar.gz
> sudo: RealPlayer11GOLD.bin.tar.gz: command not found

You are not supposed to execute the tar.gz file, but the .bin file.

Even if you executed the .bin file like this, it would not work. You are
missing the local directory in your path. There is a reason why the
instructions said "sudo ./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin"
                        ^^
For security reasons, the path does not include the current directory,
and therefore you need to specify it explicitly with "./"

> ragweed at ragweed-den:~/Desktop$ sudo apt-get install pulse-utils

I don't see this anywhere in the instructions. They talk about
installing pulseaudio-utils if you have sound problems in 8.04. After
having this installed, you can run Realplayer by prepending the command
line with padsp, as in "padsp realplay". This will re-route the sound to
make it work with Pulseaudio.

> E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

You probably have another package manager running, e.g., Synaptic or
update-manager. Exit it before executing the apt-get command line. If
this does not help, ask again

> ragweed at ragweed-den:~/Desktop$ padsp realplay
> exec: 88: realplay: not found

Certainly, since neither your attempts to install Realplayer nor
pulseaudio-utils succeeded.

> To be honest, I, as with many, learn far better by doing it from simple but precise directives, rather than from text with so
> many variables, as with the page you suggested.

I really don't know what is so hard about copying the commands as given.
BTW, you do not even have to type them, just select the text on the
webpage with the left mouse button and paste in the terminal with the
middle button or wheel (if you have neither, use left + right button
simultaneously)

That all said, there is probably no need to do all that. As you wrote
yourself, Totem plays it anyway. You can also install the w32codecs and
then the files should also work with xine, gxine, and mplayer.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/NonNativeCodecs?action=show&redirect=RestrictedFormats%2FWindowsCodecs