8.04 with Vista Home Premium

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 5 16:40:41 UTC 2008

ike ibekwe wrote:

> Newer HP laptops come pre-installed with either windows xp or windows
> vista. by default, the hard drive will contain two partitions - one for
> the OS installation and the other for the OS recovery files. installing if
> u have a version of "partition magic" that is compatible with windows
> vista, you can adjust the size of the OS installation partition. then
> restart your pc for the changes to take effect. you can then install
> ubuntu.

What I did - because Vista wouldn't shrink to any reasonable size was use
the Gutsy install CD to delete the first partition, recreate it at a
reasonable size, reinstall Vista to there, then install Gutsy to the
remaining free space.

> alternatively, u can burn your pc recovery files to onto a cd/dvd. once
> done you are free to delete all partitions and create your own custom
> partition sizes for windows and ubuntu.

Oh?  I never considered that.  I really don't want to waste that space for
recovery.
--
derek