Ubuntu desktop effects

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Fri Mar 21 22:40:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a Ubuntu 7.10 installation on an AMD dual-core machine with 1GB
of RAM and onboard video hardware.  I set the video hardware to give
128MB of video ram in the BIOS, but I am unable to start desktop effects
- it gives me an error stating that desktop effects cannot be started,
and goes back to the off state.

Is there a list of video cards that will work with this?  I don't want
to spend much on a video card, I would just like to be able to use this
feature.

Also, as I use the magnifier in Orca, will this feature be compatable?
I tried both with my Orca enabled system, and using the live CD, without
Orca enabled, in case this was the case.

Thanks,

Andrew.