Evolution's crazy habit with moving an e-mail to a folder !?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sun Mar 16 13:48:17 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 13:40 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 08:49 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > YES, generally ALL mails come to INbox, where I do check and read
> > it ! ;-)
>
> Yeah, sorry, I had meant to add "... Because that's what I also do" to
> my question. I was still trying to understand what exactly you are
> taking issue with

> > > Yeah. It seems to me that this is expected: when I delete an email, I
> > > _want it to end up in the Trash.
> >
> > Sure !
>
> The way you phrased it and the three exclamation marks made it look like
> you were complaining about this, too. That's why I asked
>

> > Exactly !
> > In these mess I do have to doublecheck in TRASH to find possible
> > errorously deleted mails !! ;-|
> > Just to avoid any errors I may have done !!! ;-)))
>
> I see now, THIS is that you mean. Maybe I'm dense, but for me it was
> very hard to understand this.
>
> (...)
>
> I have reviewed the whole thread again, and I see now that you kind of
> told us that what you are really bothered by is that the Evolution
> behavior (marking moved mails as deleted in the Inbox) makes it harder
> to find an erroneously deleted email, in order to undelete it.
>
> I have to agree, FWIW. However, if you use the very nifty and fast
> Evolution search box, then you can quickly trim the number of listed
> emails: just search for a word from the subject or body of the deleted
> email.
>
> I, at least, found this to be a pretty efficient way to deal with this
> inconvenience.
>

> > Well understood and not the topic here ! ;-)
> > it's a simple POP conection and the dealing with the messages to be
> > deleted or stored then !!
>
> Well it is part of the topic because this requirement for IMAP et al.
> influences Evo's behavior even when using POP.
>
> > How ???
> > You made it so laboriously !!! ;-|
>
> Maybe, but your liberal usage of exclamation marks and lack of focus
> your actual problem makes it really hard to deduce what you really are
> talking about, at least for me.
>
> You could help yourself and those that want to help you by taking a few
> lessons to heart from this guide by ESR:
> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>

> > As for Lotus Notes I cannot prove you wrong because I am not on the most
> > accurate releases myself and what I use and used I can proof:
> > YOU are really wrong !!! ;-(((
> >
> > Lotus does NOT copy / move via TRASH !!!
> > NONE of the more than a dozen mailers I already know does it !!
>
> True, I was imprecise myself, or rather confused about what you actual
> problem was (see whit I wrote above). What I meant was that Notes also
> minimizes network traffic by moving messages to the Trash, and only
> actually expunging them later, when the user tells it to. You are right
> that it does not still show them as "deleted" in the Inbox in any way.

> [...]

Hi Mario
I have started this thread a second time some days ago because my first
one went Nirwana with very little feedback ...
... and if I am not mistaken: I started it with especially complaining
to these, IMHO UN-necessary doublets of these  copied/moved e-mails !?

Well, another problem is my weak English, or better said, curious Swiss
German English ;-D
Sorry for the confusion, I caused ;-|

However: Thanks a lot for your interesting comments and opinions !
I am glad to have your assistance and support !!
We do not need to have exact the same idea or opinion how we do our
things
but exchanging these ideas and opinions is an eye- resp ear-opener if
one is willing
to accept others better solution !!! ;-D

Cheers, svobi