Evolution's crazy habit with moving an e-mail to a folder !?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Mar 16 15:05:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 21:48 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Hi Mario
> I have started this thread a second time some days ago because my first
> one went Nirwana with very little feedback ...

Yes, and guess why? Because people become annoyed and don't want to have
to ask you 10 times until you finally say what you actually mean. I am
sure you will receive much better response if you try to apply some of
ESR's advice (as far as applicable to the topic)

> ... and if I am not mistaken: I started it with especially complaining
> to these, IMHO UN-necessary doublets of these  copied/moved e-mails !?

Yes, but it was impossible to understand why they disturb you, when they
are invisible anyway.  It became clearer only when you narrowed it down
and explained that the problem is with undeleting email that you
erroneously deleted, because then you have to make the deleted emails
visible again. But it took until the third mail or so until you finally
revealed this secret (and even then I missed it, being buried in lots of
other stuff)

> Well, another problem is my weak English, or better said, curious Swiss
> German English ;-D

I know, and German is my first language too. Now imagine how hard it
might be for others, without that advantage

> Sorry for the confusion, I caused ;-|

No problem, nobody forces me to answer. But you'd do yourself a favor by
applying more thought and work to your mails, instead of relying on
others to spend time deciphering them. It's a question of courtesy and
has the benefit that you will receive more replies, and they will be
more to the point and therefore more useful.

Anyway, about your problem. I wonder if you tried to use virtual folders
instead of "real" folders? I don't work with virtual folders myself, but
it is possible that they avoid keeping the deleted emails in the Inbox,
because they don't physically move the email around at all -- they are
just different views into the same mass of email. It's certainly worth a
try.