Problems Configuring a Network Printer between 6.06 LTS and 7.10

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Mar 11 03:25:10 UTC 2008

Sorry Gary and Nils
Looks like i mismatched your reply ;-(

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 19:36 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/10/2008 05:42 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
>

> > Of course, Nils, we are serious folks ! ;-)

> >> Maybe it is the same as the DLink DP-301P+ and you just enter
> >> socket://address
> >> See: http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html
> >

> > Yes, the DLink DP-301P looks similar to my DP-311P ! ;-)
> > I will have to check into this unit at their websites and study the tech
> > specs !!
> >
> > As for 631 versus 9100:
> > These are two different protcols !?
> > The Canon works without any additional 9100 as lpd://192.168.1xy
> > 1xy !! ;-)
> >
> > Will do more checks, studies and tests and get back again later.
> > Cheers, svobi
> >

> Nils Kassube is infinitely better versed on linux than I... I'm
> NoOp/Gary, he is Nils :-)
>
> If the Canon works, have you tried the HP with the same settings:
> lpd://192.168.x.x? If you add a new printer, using
> System|Administration|Printer and select LPD/LPR Host Printer, do you
> find the printer when you put in the hostname/address and select "Probe"?
>
> Note that lpd uses port 515 and is generally not recommended by cups if
> the printer supports the other protocols:
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html

Thanks for your feedback regarding the printer port 515 !
Now I am having a choice of 4 to test with:

1) No port, since the Canon works with this ;-)
2) 9100
3) 631
4) 515

And all the various (sorted just alpha) HTTP, IPP, LPD and Socket !
Too much of choices and almost all I have tried without any success ...
... including my errorous entries and mistakes due lack of competent
experience !! ;-(

> Given that it's a PP (glad we got that figured out :-), perhaps you can
> try: ipp://address/LPT1 or ipp://address/lpt1 and see if that works.

NO .. NO !!! ;-((
It's not a Parallel Port Connection !!
It IS a WL (Wireless) Parallel Port Unit !

> Question: maybe it is the device setup that is wrong. Can you remove the
> device that is working on the Canon, move it to the HP and see if that
> works? If it does then you can go back into http://192.168.0.10 and
> reconfigure the other print server device.

I too started to believe this but I haven't tried yet !
I also started checking and comparing the DP-301P and the DP-311P !!
It seems there are differences exactly regarding the HP 1320 !!! ;-|

Need to learn and know better. ;-)

Once again, thanks a lot and cheers,
svobi