Problems Configuring a Network Printer between 6.06 LTS and 7.10 / TQ, finally solved !

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Mar 11 04:24:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 11:25 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Sorry Gary and Nils
> Looks like i mismatched your reply ;-(
>
> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 19:36 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> > On 03/10/2008 05:42 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> >

> > > Of course, Nils, we are serious folks ! ;-)

> > > Yes, the DLink DP-301P looks similar to my DP-311P ! ;-)
> > > I will have to check into this unit at their websites and study the tech
> > > specs !!
> > >
> > > As for 631 versus 9100:
> > > These are two different protcols !?
> > > The Canon works without any additional 9100 as lpd://192.168.1xy
> > > 1xy !! ;-)
> > >
> > > Will do more checks, studies and tests and get back again later.
> > > Cheers, svobi
> > >

> > Nils Kassube is infinitely better versed on linux than I... I'm
> > NoOp/Gary, he is Nils :-)
> >
> > If the Canon works, have you tried the HP with the same settings:
> > lpd://192.168.x.x? If you add a new printer, using
> > System|Administration|Printer and select LPD/LPR Host Printer, do you
> > find the printer when you put in the hostname/address and select "Probe"?
> >
> > Note that lpd uses port 515 and is generally not recommended by cups if
> > the printer supports the other protocols:
> > http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html
>
> Thanks for your feedback regarding the printer port 515 !
> Now I am having a choice of 4 to test with:
>
> 1) No port, since the Canon works with this ;-)
> 2) 9100
> 3) 631
> 4) 515
>
> And all the various (sorted just alpha) HTTP, IPP, LPD and Socket !
> Too much of choices and almost all I have tried without any success ...
> ... including my errorous entries and mistakes due lack of competent
> experience !! ;-(
>

> > Given that it's a PP (glad we got that figured out :-), perhaps you can
> > try: ipp://address/LPT1 or ipp://address/lpt1 and see if that works.
>
> NO .. NO !!! ;-((
> It's not a Parallel Port Connection !!
> It IS a WL (Wireless) Parallel Port Unit !
>

> > Question: maybe it is the device setup that is wrong. Can you remove the
> > device that is working on the Canon, move it to the HP and see if that
> > works? If it does then you can go back into http://192.168.0.10 and
> > reconfigure the other print server device.

> I too started to believe this but I haven't tried yet !
> I also started checking and comparing the DP-301P and the DP-311P !!
> It seems there are differences exactly regarding the HP 1320 !!! ;-|
>
> Need to learn and know better. ;-)

OOPpss ...
... exactly this is the reason !!!
Swapping the WL PP unit solves the problem the opposite way:
HP LJ 1320 now working ...
... Canon BJc-6100 NO MORE working !! ;-((

The settings are exactly the same and simple ! ;-D

After near 2 years of struggling with this:
I am glad I found the mistake ...
... I am not so glad I have to get another unit, since this is already
EOL out of warranty !

Thanks a lot to all of you enlightening and helping me to find and solve
this,
even if it's not been forum specific: Cool folk !!! ;-D

Cheers, svobi