Problems Configuring a Network Printer between 6.06 LTS and 7.10

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 11 02:36:02 UTC 2008

On 03/10/2008 05:42 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

> Of course, Nils, we are serious folks ! ;-)
>

>> > 631 is the port used by CUPS (http://www.cups.org/). 9100 is a
>> > printserver/PDL Data Streaming port
>> > (http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/lp/printservers.htm).
>> >
>> > Perhaps in your case you might need a URI like:
>> >
>> > socket://<ipaddress>:9100
>> >
>> > Not sure, I'm not familiar with your wireless Parallel Port print server.
>> >

>> Maybe it is the same as the DLink DP-301P+ and you just enter
>> socket://address
>> See: http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html
>

> Yes, the DLink DP-301P looks similar to my DP-311P ! ;-)
> I will have to check into this unit at their websites and study the tech
> specs !!
>
> As for 631 versus 9100:
> These are two different protcols !?
> The Canon works without any additional 9100 as lpd://192.168.1xy
> 1xy !! ;-)
>
> Will do more checks, studies and tests and get back again later.
> Cheers, svobi

Nils Kassube is infinitely better versed on linux than I... I'm
NoOp/Gary, he is Nils :-)

If the Canon works, have you tried the HP with the same settings:
lpd://192.168.x.x? If you add a new printer, using
System|Administration|Printer and select LPD/LPR Host Printer, do you
find the printer when you put in the hostname/address and select "Probe"?

Note that lpd uses port 515 and is generally not recommended by cups if
the printer supports the other protocols:
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html

Given that it's a PP (glad we got that figured out :-), perhaps you can
try: ipp://address/LPT1 or ipp://address/lpt1 and see if that works.

Question: maybe it is the device setup that is wrong. Can you remove the
device that is working on the Canon, move it to the HP and see if that
works? If it does then you can go back into http://192.168.0.10 and
reconfigure the other print server device.