Problems Configuring a Network Printer between 6.06 LTS and 7.10

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Mar 11 00:42:04 UTC 2008

Hi Nils,
Thanks for your feedback !

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:22 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/10/2008 02:06 PM, NoOp wrote:
> > On 03/09/2008 04:47 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> >

> >> This topic is very interesting for me too, since I am struggling with
> >> the WL Connection to
> >> a PP HP LJ 1320 !
> >>
> >> In this answer I see some new settings, ie
> >> the :631/printers/<printername> !
> >> Normally set with xxx:9100 I already tried with IPP: NO success. ;-(
> >>
> >> I can ping to the respective unit and get feedbacks: OK !!
> >>
> >> But absolutely NO prints since ever, except connected per PP !
> >>
> >> The HW config:
> >> The PS / Print Server is a WL DLink DP-311P (PP-Box)
> >>
> >> Another DLink DP-311P connection a Canon BJc-6100 works like a
> >> charm !!! ;-D
> >>
> >> Are hints and/or suggestions available ???
> >> TIA and cheers, svobi
> >>

> > I assume by "PP" you are referring to Parallel Port... not some form of
> > human anatomy :-)

Of course, Nils, we are serious folks ! ;-)

> > 631 is the port used by CUPS (http://www.cups.org/). 9100 is a
> > printserver/PDL Data Streaming port
> > (http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/lp/printservers.htm).
> >
> > Perhaps in your case you might need a URI like:
> >
> > socket://<ipaddress>:9100
> >
> > Not sure, I'm not familiar with your wireless Parallel Port print server.
> >

> Maybe it is the same as the DLink DP-301P+ and you just enter
> socket://address
> See: http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html

Yes, the DLink DP-301P looks similar to my DP-311P ! ;-)
I will have to check into this unit at their websites and study the tech
specs !!

As for 631 versus 9100:
These are two different protcols !?
The Canon works without any additional 9100 as lpd://192.168.1xy
1xy !! ;-)

Will do more checks, studies and tests and get back again later.
Cheers, svobi