Problems Configuring a Network Printer between 6.06 LTS,, and 7.10

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 10 02:08:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 15:35 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> > If the system with the printer attached has a fixed IP (i.e.,
> > 192.168.x.x or similar), the easiest way to connect from the 7.10
> > machine is to use IPP. So in the Printer Configuration for the Device
> > URI use: ipp://192.168.x.x:631/printers/<printername>
> >
> > So, from 7.10: System|Administration|Printing|New Printer|Internet
> > Printing Protocol (ipp) - Host: <IP address> - Find Queue, and that
> > should find the 6.06 machine's printer(s) if the 6.06 machines printers
> > are shared. If the queue doesn't show up, then use "Other" and enter the
> > URI directly: ipp://192.168.x.x:631/printers/<printername> - Forward.
> >
> > If the 6.06 doesn't have a fixed IP (I recommend for just this reason),
> > then ipp://<machinename>:631/printers/<printername>

A couple of folks have requested that I explain exactly what I did to
correct the problem, that I had posted to the net.

NoOp provided the key when he said the easiest way was to use IPP...

What I did was to use the System Administration|Printing|New
Printer|Internet Printing Protocol (ipp) -
Host: < IP Address> - Find Queue. That provided me the the name of my
attached printer on the
target system. With that I then used the IP Address of the target system
to define the URL on the system
without  the physical printer :

ipp://192.168.x.x:631/printers/<name of my attached printer> (ie Queue)

NOTE:  The system with the printer must have port 631 OPEN (find -
System Administration|System|
            Services|Printer service (cupsys) and check the box).

The wizard  then provided the  proper connection and  I was able to
utilize the printer as desired.

I hope this helps...

Jay

--