Problems Configuring a Network Printer between 6.06 LTS,, and 7.10

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Mon Mar 10 03:25:47 UTC 2008

> > > SNIP
> > > If the system with the printer attached has a fixed IP (i.e.,
> > > 192.168.x.x or similar), the easiest way to connect from the 7.10
> > > machine is to use IPP. So in the Printer Configuration for the Device
> > > URI use: ipp://192.168.x.x:631/printers/<printername>
> > >
> > > So, from 7.10: System|Administration|Printing|New Printer|Internet
> > > Printing Protocol (ipp) - Host: <IP address> - Find Queue, and that
> > > should find the 6.06 machine's printer(s) if the 6.06 machines printers
> > > are shared. If the queue doesn't show up, then use "Other" and enter the
> > > URI directly: ipp://192.168.x.x:631/printers/<printername> - Forward.
> > >
> > > If the 6.06 doesn't have a fixed IP (I recommend for just this reason),
> > > then ipp://<machinename>:631/printers/<printername>
> >
> A couple of folks have requested that I explain exactly what I did to
> correct the problem, that I had posted to the net.
>
> NoOp provided the key when he said the easiest way was to use IPP...
>
> What I did was to use the System Administration|Printing|New Printer|
> Internet Printing Protocol (ipp) -
> Host: < IP Address> - Find Queue. That provided me the the name of my
> attached printer on the
> target system. With that I then used the IP Address of the target
> system to define the URL on the system
> without  the physical printer :
>
> ipp://192.168.x.x:631/printers/<name of my attached printer> (ie
> Queue)
>
> NOTE:  The system with the printer must have port 631 OPEN (find -
> System Administration|System|
>             Services|Printer service (cupsys) and check the box).
>
> The wizard  then provided the  proper connection and  I was able to
> utilize the printer as desired.
>
> I hope this helps...

Hi Jay,
Thanks for your feedback how you got your NW Printer running. ;-)
Unfortunately the solution doesn't work here with a HP 1320 ! ;-(

I noticed the following error message/s:

/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp failed ... with ipp
or resp
/usr/lib/cups/backend/lpd failed ... with lpd !?

What do I miss here ???

Just FYI:
Changing the Canon BJc-6100 accordingly with LPD/LPR
again works like a charm and produces a cool Test Print ! ;-)

It seems there is a BIG BLACK HOLE between the DLink DP-311P and the HP
LJ 1320 !? ;-|

Any assistance, help, hints and suggestions are very appreciated. ;-)
TIA and cheers, svobi