sharing and internet connection via peer to peer

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 7 20:20:07 UTC 2008

On 03/06/2008 09:46 PM, debiani386 wrote:
> David Vincent wrote:
>>
>> debiani386 wrote:
>>
>>> i have 2 ubuntu computers hooked in via crossover cable and i have 1
>>> wireless cable.
>>>

>> just asking - what exactly is a "wireless cable"?  :)
>>
> sorry i meant wireless adapter
>>
>>> What i want to do is temporarily set up internet connection sharing on 1
>>> computer so i dont have to swap my wireless between my 2 computers.
>>>
>>> ive googled and gone through several tutorials with no avail. even tried
>>> internet connection sharing via firestarter and it didnt work
>>>

>> what settings did you have in the "Network Settings" section on
>> Firestarter?  are you sure you had the right network cards selected?
>> "Internet connected network device" was your wireless card and "Local
>> network connected device" was your wired one?
>>
>> - -d
>>
> i am certain i had the right cards selected
> Eth2 (my wireless) is my rout to the internet and thats the one i chose
> for my internet connection
> Eth1 (my LAN) is the one connected to the other computer. Both computers
> can ping each other.
>
> But every time i go to start the firewall, firestarter stops and tells
> me that ETH1 is not ready. And thats with or without the other computer
> connected.

Perhaps:
http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php
will help?

I'm actually interested in trying this as my away-from-home college son
has wireless via a USB adaptor on this desktop. His laptop uses a pcmcia
wireless that doesn't get as strong a signal & sometimes needs
reconfiguring. I figure that if I could get this to work & give him some
 rj-45, he'd at least be able to connect to the desktop's ethernet nic
port for updates, etc. In this case it would be:

some wireless router==wireless==>wireless usb adaptor desktop==>wired
nic desktop==>RF-45==>wired nic laptop.

Then again, I wonder if komputes method might be easier in a way; then
you don't have to worry about Firestarter messing other things up...