Ubuntu - Rythym Box issue

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Mar 5 12:58:00 UTC 2008

Kim Briggs wrote:
> EDIT: 2008-03-04 23:30 -0500
>
> If anyone should try the method below to install xmms, please include
> the "install" option.
>
> ">  > My solution is to use XMMS for this task:  sudo apt-get xmms xmms-skins"
> SHOULD BE:  sudo apt-get install xmms xmms-skins
>
> Sorry for the typo.
> kimbriggs.com
>
> On 3/4/08, Default User <xyzzyx at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>  On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 10:50 -0500, Kim Briggs wrote:
>>  > On 3/3/08, Tom <lau at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>>  > > Hello to All:
>>  > >
>>  > >  I've installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy and have tried Rythym box with some
>>  > >  disappointing results.  Many of the radio stations that I try to import
>>  > >  end up not playing w/ message "proper plug in not installed".  What do
>>  > >  I need to do to make R-Box more functional, or, do I need to replace it
>>  > >  w/ some other player w/ better plug-ins?
>>  > >
>>  > >  Thanks for your inputs,
>>  > >
>>  > >  Tom Lau
>>  >
>>  > Hi Tom,
>>  >
>>  > I've been using Ubuntu for over 5 years and have never gotten the
>>  > default application Rhythm Box to play streaming .pls files.  This is
>>  > AFTER I have confirmed it can play static mp3 files.  It is mind
>>  > boggling how this is the default app.
>>  >
>>  > My solution is to use XMMS for this task:  sudo apt-get xmms xmms-skins
>>  >
>>  > You can change the program used for .pls in Firefox in
>>  > Preferences...Content Tab...File Types section.  The location of XMMS
>>  > is /usr/bin/xmms
>>  >
>>  > HTH,
>>  > http://kimbriggs.com
>>  >

>> FWIW, I also have never been able to get Rhythmbox to play internet
>>  radio stations.  So when installing Ubuntu one of the first things I do
>>  is uninstall Rhythmbox and install xmms, which plays Internet radio
>>  fine, no setup or tinkering needed.
>>
>>  Perhaps xmms should be the default audio player for Ubuntu, instead of
>>  Rhythmbox.
>>

>>  --

    I bought a PDA yesterday and it has a USB plug to talk with a
computer. All help is for the various versions of Windows.

    When I plug in the USB plug I checked tail dmesg and saw the PDA was
seen and correctly identified. But it caused Rythym Box to be launched
and for the life of me I never saw how to use this software with my PDA.

    While struggling with Rythm Box I saw there was also the File Server
open. I went to that and it had all 2 GB of storage displayed as another
hard drive. I tried to save all the files that were on my PDA to a file
on the computer and did so just sliding each file with the mouse to the
file on the Desktop. This worked perfect so I slid some .jpg files from
my computer to the PDA and that worked GREAT!

    The PDA was at /media/OPAL and if you wanted you could cp files to
the PDA. It is fair to say Rythm Box is useless. But the plain Linux way
to work with another hard drive works just fine and the PDA works great
with Linux.

    The PDA is a RCA OPAL model M4002 and it was at Wal Mart for $50.00.
It has a 2 GB Flash memory and shows video and MP3 sound. The small
screen is in color. The ear plugs are good and really HiFi!

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User