Ubuntu - Rythym Box issue

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Wed Mar 5 06:01:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 23:31 -0500, Kim Briggs wrote:
> EDIT: 2008-03-04 23:30 -0500
>
> If anyone should try the method below to install xmms, please include
> the "install" option.
>
> ">  > My solution is to use XMMS for this task:  sudo apt-get xmms xmms-skins"
> SHOULD BE:  sudo apt-get install xmms xmms-skins
>
> Sorry for the typo.
> kimbriggs.com
>
> On 3/4/08, Default User <xyzzyx at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >  On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 10:50 -0500, Kim Briggs wrote:
> >  > On 3/3/08, Tom <lau at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> >  > > Hello to All:
> >  > >
> >  > >  I've installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy and have tried Rythym box with some
> >  > >  disappointing results.  Many of the radio stations that I try to import
> >  > >  end up not playing w/ message "proper plug in not installed".  What do
> >  > >  I need to do to make R-Box more functional, or, do I need to replace it
> >  > >  w/ some other player w/ better plug-ins?
> >  > >
> >  > >  Thanks for your inputs,
> >  > >
> >  > >  Tom Lau
> >  >
> >  > Hi Tom,
> >  >
> >  > I've been using Ubuntu for over 5 years and have never gotten the
> >  > default application Rhythm Box to play streaming .pls files.  This is
> >  > AFTER I have confirmed it can play static mp3 files.  It is mind
> >  > boggling how this is the default app.
> >  >
> >  > My solution is to use XMMS for this task:  sudo apt-get xmms xmms-skins
> >  >
> >  > You can change the program used for .pls in Firefox in
> >  > Preferences...Content Tab...File Types section.  The location of XMMS
> >  > is /usr/bin/xmms
> >  >
> >  > HTH,
> >  > http://kimbriggs.com
> >  >

> > FWIW, I also have never been able to get Rhythmbox to play internet
> >  radio stations.  So when installing Ubuntu one of the first things I do
> >  is uninstall Rhythmbox and install xmms, which plays Internet radio
> >  fine, no setup or tinkering needed.
> >
> >  Perhaps xmms should be the default audio player for Ubuntu, instead of
> >  Rhythmbox.

Well, your recent discussion of Rythmbox reminded me that I liked to
hear music from:

http://www.Luckysevenradio.com

Unfortunately I am unable & the error popup tells me that I do not have
the decoder to play it !?
Is there a solution to get it working and what do I do ???

Already checked XMMS plugins and got drowned about all these !!! ;-)

Any advice and guidance is very appreciated.

TIA and cheers,
svobi