how to disable fade before screensaver

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 13:17:42 UTC 2008

So, is it the case that there's no way to disable the "fade to black"
feature before the screensaver kicks in?  If that is true, then
gnome-screensaver is getting the boot.  I can't take the
seizure-inducing flickering caused by the broken fade-to-black on my
system (nor can my office-mate).

Also, wrt to the screensaver controversy, it isn't one that I've
followed so I can't really take sides.  However I was very fond of the
old matrix screensaver in xscreensavers. I liked that it could be
configured to "find" a phone number of my own choosing.  So, there are
some screen savers that have sophisticated options for which
"configurability" is appropriate.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Peter Garrett
<peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:40:39 -0500
>  Zach <uid000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > On my system (Ubuntu 7.10), the fade-to-black before gnome-screensaver
>  > kicks in doesn't behave properly.  I'd like to just disable the fade.
>  > Is there a way to turn it off?
>
>  The Gnome maintainer of gnome-screensaver, if I recall correctly, regards
>  making screen savers configurable as a proof that the screen saver is
>  "broken".
>
>  I think you might have just found one of the several ways that his
>  creation is, indeed, broken...
>
>  For what it's worth, on my laptop I simply removed the gnome screensaver,
>  installed xscreensaver , and lived happily ever after.
>
>  I won't say what I think of gnome-screensaver, because I prefer not to
>  contravene the Ubuntu Code of Conduct ;)
>
>  Peter
>
>  --
>  "INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net
>  Screenshots slideshow: http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html