how to disable fade before screensaver

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Mar 3 16:42:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 08:17 -0500, Zach wrote:
> So, is it the case that there's no way to disable the "fade to black"
> feature before the screensaver kicks in?

Seems so. I looked for the gnome-screensaver options in gconf-editor,
but there isn't a way there, either.

> However I was very fond of the
> old matrix screensaver in xscreensavers. I liked that it could be
> configured to "find" a phone number of my own choosing.  So, there are
> some screen savers that have sophisticated options for which
> "configurability" is appropriate.

Certainly, if I understand the linked FAQ correctly, then he argues that
the way xscreensaver implemented them was very broken. And I think we
can all agree that the xscreensaver UI was hideous. I believe what's
missing now is someone with enough interest to implement a non-broken
option system in gnome-screensaver :)