Lets face Ubuntu 8.04

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 14:34:17 UTC 2008

Phil Bieber wrote:
> Hi!
> And just because YOU don't have problems, it doesn't mean nobody else has them.
> I had my own problems with flash (especially the version in the repos)
> from the beta on and right up to the point that I installed the beta
> of flash 10. I still can't effectively use my wifi card (Intel
> IPW3945) as it will occasionally just drop the connection and where
> Windows gets rats well beyond 1200kb/s (and Gutsy, too), Hardy will
> barely scratch 50kb/s. I still stick with Hardy, but just because I've
> yet to find another OS that suits me.
> It sad that everybody is so "No, no, no, Hardy can't have problems, it
> perfect.My perccccciiiiiooooouuuuuusssssssssssss....". The OP might
> have been badly phrased, but there is a user that is not content with
> this OS and we should respect that decision. And I agree that Gutsy
> was better than Hardy. I just hope that 8.10 will be at that level
> again.
No operating system is 100% perfect, period end of story.  Every one of
them has issues.  Some have more than others.  Ubuntu has its own and
Windows has its own.  Its up to the consumer to decide which OS has the
least issues and whether or not they can live with dealing with those
issues.  You have to look at thing objectively:

On LInux
*  You have absolute freedom to control and manipulate the operating
however you see fit.
*  To install Linux in a business just download a copy and start
installing.  No special site licenses are required.
*  There is no Digital Restrictions Management and no product activation
codes you need to use to install the OS.
*  There are literally hundreds of different flavors of Linux to choose
from (some have said this is one of the downsides of Linux because it
makes choosing the right one harder and because there are so many
different versions there is no standardization) offering different
experiences for a wider range of users.  Best of all, you don't have to
pay a dime for it unless you are buying technical support for a certain
period of time.
*  Installing software is easy if you use Aptitude or Synaptic Package
Manager.  Having to compile a program to install and use it become a
rarity nowadays on Linux.
*  If you want to develop software for Linux most of the development
tools to do so are already provided on most distributions.

On Windows
*  You are limited both by the OS itself and the licensing for the OS in
how you can control it and use it.
*  To use Windows in a business setting you are required to buy multiple
licenses of the OS.
*  There is Digital Restrictions Manager all over Windows, especially in
Vista which is why its slower than XP, and you have to activate the OS
with a code after installing it.
*  There are only 7 flavors of Vista and 2 of XP.  The 7 version confuse
people because they don't know which one to get and some versions
designed for home use are missing features which they have to get the
immensely expensive Ultimate Edition in order to get.
*  Installing software is easy but there is no standardized method of
doing so since every software maker uses their own installer software,
and there is no centralized search tool built into Windows like Aptitude
or Synaptic Package Manager.
*  If you want to develop software for Windows you are required to buy
the software either from Window or a third party and they are expensive.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home