How to rsync to an external HDD with TCP/IP ?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Thu Jun 19 08:05:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 14:46 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> John DeCarlo wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:38 AM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Unfortunately it's too late to try your suggestions since I had / have
> >> to erase the whole external HDD because it wants FAT32 to be recognized
> >> via TCP/IP !? ;-(
> >>

>     I went to man rsync and it states in clear language that it works
> fine on ext2 and ext3. It will not work with other file systems. When
> you know what it does you know why it has this requirement.
> Karl

Hi Karl
Thanks for this pointer !
I haven't got to recognize this !!

On the other hand I was assuming that with TCP/IP the FS at Source and
Target
shall interfere quite problemless !?

Well, as already written to John, FAT32 only came into game because
the units format themselves ONLY FAT32 !!!

My intention was to have identical FS on Sources and Targets.

I will have to get back to my tech buddies to hear their
recommendations ! ;-D

Cheers, svobi