How to rsync to an external HDD with TCP/IP ?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 01:52:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> John DeCarlo wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:38 AM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net>
>> wrote:
>    I went to man rsync and it states in clear language that it works
> fine on ext2 and ext3. It will not work with other file systems. When
> you know what it does you know why it has this requirement.

Karl - time to check your glasses again....

>   brian at riviera
>  ~
>==> zgrep ext3 $(man -w rsync)

Want to guess the output of that command?

rsync does not require ext3 or 2 or.....   Obviously, it can't copy
from one file system type to another completely if the destination
doesn't have all the metadata the first one does.  On the other hand,
it happily copies to  and from equally capable systems like reiser,
xfs etc.

Brian