Grub not right on new install.

Jim Smith jim at oz.net
Mon Jun 16 23:06:48 UTC 2008

Clifford Snow wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 16:35 -0700, Jim Smith wrote:
>

>> I installed 8.04 on a desktop system intending it to dual boot with
>> WinXP, which one user requires for coursework software. The install went
>> fine and Hardy is running great on the system. The problem is that Grub
>> somehow did not pick up the WinXP installation which is in a partition
>> on another hard drive. Do you think that running "sudo update-grub" will
>> be enough, or as I fear will I need to add WinXP manually?
>>

>> WinXP is on the first partition of the first drive, /dev/sda, Ubuntu is
>> on a partition of the second drive, /dev/sdb.
>>

> Just add in another section for XP,
> Something like:
>
> title WinXP
> 	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> 	chainloader +1

Thank you for the reply. I was finally able to dig thru the manpages for
Grub and also thru the top of the menu.lst file and with a few trial and
errors, was able to get it right.

FWIW it looks sort of like this:
title                      Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3
root                      (hd0,0)
makeactive
savedefault
chainloader +1

and near the top of the file I added the line
default                 saved
and it works fine. The user of that system and I thank you for the help.
It was really just a confidence problem, I should practice hackng around
in the system more often. With adequate backups made of course.

Jim