8.04 server + ubuntu-xen-server dies under disk load on AMD Opteron

Sam Howard sam.howard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 03:42:10 UTC 2008

Hi.

I have a Sun Ultra 20 (AMD Opteron 148) that I put a clean install of both
AMD64 and i386 8.04 Server on ... both crash the same way.

Initial install goes fine, apt-get update/upgrade brings the server current,
and it seems to function with no issues.  I am able to create a test file
with:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/test bs=1024 count=10000000

File creates fine.

I install the ubuntu-xen-server package (and all of the depends), and it
seems to install fine.  Reboot in the Xen'ified kernel no problem.

Try to do any sort of disk load (like create a guest or the dd test above)
an it blows up with some errors like:

  PCI-DMA: OUT OF SW-IOMMU space for 65535 bytes at address xxxx
  <some other stuff>
  [ 1839.394603] ata2.00 status: {DRDY}

It's hard to get all of the messages before it reboots.

Fails with the same errors on both x64 and i386.

Any ideas?  This makes for a pretty non-functional Xen server.  :(

Thanks,
Sam